Jim Chalat is the senior partner of Chalat Hatten & Banker. He is a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates and has been listed by Best Lawyers since 2014. He has been selected by Best Lawyers for recognition as 2017 Best Lawyers - Lawyer of the Year, Professional Malpractice Law - Plaintiffs. In 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018, Denver's premier magazine 5280 named him as one of only five "Top Denver Lawyers" in the personal injury category.
In 2017, Colorado Law Week editorial board chose Mr. Chalat as the "Barristers' Best" in personal injury- plaintiffs category.
Jim Chalat has been selected for the Colorado SuperLawyers list each year that members of the Colorado bar have been considered for the distinction. He has earned this recognition through his success on behalf of his clients, in and out of the courtroom. In February of 2010, Mr. Chalat's client, a victim left paraplegic by a drunk driver, was awarded $18.5 Million following a district court bench trial. In June of 2007, Mr. Chalat obtained a $10.1 Million jury verdict, one of the largest verdicts ever awarded in a Colorado medical malpractice case.
A Colorado lawyer since 1977, Mr. Chalat is Board Certified as a Civil Trial Advocate by the National Board of Trial Advocacy, a nationally esteemed organization. He is a sustaining member of American Association for Justice (formerly the American Trial Lawyers Association) and the Colorado Trial Lawyers Association. Jim Chalat is rated "AV" (highest rating) by Martindale-Hubbell, the authoritative resource for information on the worldwide legal profession. He has also been rated 10 out of 10 by AVVO.
Mr. Chalat has published numerous professional articles, including the definitive articles on U.S. ski law and Colorado ski law. He has frequently been interviewed as a national expert on ski litigation, and he is also a popular speaker for Continuing Legal Education, speaking on ski litigation, attorney ethics and malpractice, and general trial tactics.
- Colorado, 1977
- Michigan, 1983
- U.S. Federal Courts, 1977
- U.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit, 1981
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1981
- University of Denver College of Law, Denver, Colorado
Doctor of Jurisprudence - 1977
Law Review: Administrative Law Review, Assistant Editor
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
B.G.S. - 1974
Honors: With Distinction
Profession Associations and Memberships
- American Board of Trial Advocates, member.
- Named one of the Top Denver Lawyers by 5280, for 2015, 2016 & 2017.
- Best Lawyers, 2014, 2015, 2016 & 2017.
- Faculty of Federal Advocates, Board of Directors 2008-2012.
- Colorado Super Lawyers, 2006 - 2017, featured in inaugural issue, 2006.
- AVVO rated 10/10 “Superb.”
- Board Certified since 1983 by the National Board of Trial Advocacy, recertified continuously since.
- Listed in the Bar Registry of Preeminent Lawyers, by Martindale-Hubble.
- Master Bencher, Thompson G. Marsh, American Inns of Court. President of the Inn, 2003-2004; recipient of the Alfred C. Harrell award for civility, professionalism and excellence.
- President’s Circle, American Association of Justice (f/k/a The Association of Trial Lawyers of America).
- Colorado Trial Lawyers Association, Member of the Board of Directors 1996-2000.
- American, Colorado, Denver, Michigan and Michigan Trial Lawyers Bar Associations.
- Instructor & Diplomate - National Institute of Trial Advocacy.
- Assistant Special Disciplinary Counsel, State of Colorado (1992-1995).
- Joint ABA/NITA advocacy program in Oxford, England (1985).