This week Gov. Bill Ritter signed into law a bill requiring the installation of carbon-monoxide alarms in most homes. House Bill 1091, which becomes law July 1, requires that all new or sold residential properties have carbon-monoxide alarms on each floor of the property. Rental properties also also be required to add the alarms when tenants change.
A Denver family of four died in a vacation home in Aspen on Thanksgiving, while a University of Denver student died in her apartment in January — all from carbon-monoxide poisoning. Relatives of Parker and Caroline Lofgren and their children, Owen, 10, and Sophie, 8, and of DU student Lauren Johnson, 23, pushed lawmakers to put measures in place to prevent future CO poisoning deaths. See Another Tragic Colorado Death Due to CO.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *